The Seven Deadly Sins
Over at Chart Porn, they’ve compiled the Seven Deadly Sins graphs created by geographers from Kansas State University. The graphs were compiled like so:
- Greed was calculated by comparing average incomes with the total number of inhabitants living beneath the poverty line.
- Envy was calculated using the total number of thefts – robbery, burglary, larceny and stolen cars.
- Wrath was calculated by comparing the total number of violent crimes – murder, assault and rape – reported to the FBI per capita.
- Lust was calculated by compiling the number of sexually transmitted diseases – HIV, AIDS, syphilis, chlamydia and gonorrhea – reported per capita.
- Gluttony was calculated by counting the number of fast food restaurants per capita.
- Sloth was calculated by comparing expenditures on arts, entertainment and recreation with the rate of employment.
- Pride, the root of all sins, in this study, is the aggregate of all data.