Statements from Bob Pette, SGI VP Corporate Marketing
Update: The actual interview can be heard as part of the Special Edition Podcast.
I just got off a phone call with Bob Pette, Vice President of Corporate Marketing at SGI, regarding today’s announcement of bankruptcy and acquisition of a merger with Rackable. The phone call will be in an upcoming Special Edition podcast to come later tonight, but some highlights for you:
- SGI was saddled with a large debt coming out of the last bankruptcy, and was doing fine until the recent economic downturn.
- The new company’s name is still to be determined, although the “SGI” and “Silicon Graphics” names bring alot of brand equity.
- No significant reduction in personnel is expected, although some overlap will obviously happen in HR & Operations that will result in slight reductions
- No overlap of high-end products, a little overlap in the lower-end x86 space may result in a few products being scrapped.
- SGI expects to no impact to current support contracts, or outstanding purchases (like the DOD’s recent $40mil acquisition) (Corrected 10:09)
Check back later for the audio of the phone call, and more!